Monday, February 19, 2018

WORK AT THE TRAIN STATION

Many of you hear me talking about 'working' at the Train Station. It seems I am there a lot, at least 3 days a week, and hours are spent on SPOTS stuff here at home. While most of the heavy duty construction projects are finished on the building, the layouts need frequent work, track maintenance, engine repairs, wiring repairs, and, of course, my department, scenery building and changes.
We recently changed officers and with a new president came major changes to the layouts. The biggest change was to the O scale track all of the elevated track was removed and as a result, the scenery on "the mountain" had to be changed. It has been a lot of work, but I am much happier with how it is going to look - I hated the farm on the mountain top.
Anyway, here are some of the folks doing their stuff... (I hope this works as I have been having serious computer problems, so I will see what I can get done while it is actually running! I can always edit it later.)
Work is also being done on the HO layout. HO stands for Half O, so these trains and buildings are half the size of the bigger layout, the Lionel size trains.
  
 
We also have a room designed for the youngest ones, a hands on, make your own layout, push, pull, and one little train that runs on batteries and seems to need work just about every week. Michael is our toy maker, The kids love to play with these trains.
We frequently have visitors from our local Community Services Group. Some of then run the trains, some just watch them run, some of the guys build tracks, some watch DVDs. We try to have something for everyone.
 

I will be back to add to this - if my computer will let me on... meanwhile, here is an over view of what we are doing most days. - OUT of time!

4 comments:

troutbirder said...

Many fond memories here of my Lionel 027 gauge obtainded on Christmas eve 1949. Many years later I built a great layout on a retired ping pong table for my two sons. I believe they played with it once but found school sports etc. more interesting. Later I invited a teaching colleague, the physics teacher, had an American Flyer over to "play trains". We had a great time...:)

Ginnie said...

I know you've been at this for years and you must be so proud of your accomplishment. Also, to have some of it where the youngsters cam actually play with them (hands on) is wonderful. Lots of work but that never holds you back !!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This project has come a long way since its inception, and you have certainly been one of the continuing volunteers who have worked to make it so successful. Thanks for sharing these updates. Hope the computer problems will not be fatal for the PC.

A rootdigger said...

I like reading about this train station. I found i also like doing minatures. for fairies faeries gnomes and the like. I do realize that with trains and tracks the minnature is more serious and more to scale and real looking.
Nice blogs like yours are a treasure to find and see.
This year it might be nice to see your take on the affects of the panademic and how it's affecte you at the train station... etc. home etc.
arootdigger.