Wednesday, November 08, 2006

BLOODSUCKING CONENOSE


BLOODSUCKING CONENOSE

No, I am not making a political statement, tho I do believe we have quite a few bloodsuckers left in the Senate, maybe even the House. No, this is a "bug" - a Triatoma sanguisuga, a fascinating little creature common to this neck of the woods... well, I have only seen them in the fall. Apparently they bite - I never knew that - and people can have a bad allergic reaction to their bites as they can transmit a parasite. They DO drink the blood of mammals, but usually just small mammals. I hate to call anything ugly, but I can make an exception in this case.

This little fellow, about an inch and a half in length, was out on my carport last month. I jusy had to get a picture of his ugliness!

1 comment:

wiz said...

That bug is not a conenose. It's a wheel bug...closely related, but feeds on small insects while the eastern bloodsucking conenose feeds on the blood of mammals including humans.