Friday, May 11, 2007

The EARLY MAY GARDEN

The garden seemed to be coming along pretty good until I checked it Thursday morning. That was when I noticed one row of beans were eaten off to the stems. "Rats," I said, tho I knew it was either rabbits or deer. I said a tiny apology to Rhodent and decided it was time to put up THE FENCE. I had the posts and a borrowed post driver and 100 feet of nylon (?) fencing, what more did I need?
Notice the "gate"? PVC pipe, wire fencing, and a rod in the ground. The white ribbon around the top of the fence is so Bambi can see it and not crash into it on his way thru the yard.
The asparagus is up. Honest! Ya just gotta look real close. Uh, that is an oyster shell behind the little piece of "spare-grass." Baby strawberries. And the Hermitage had its annual plant sale on Friday. I got a new rhododendron, 2 Black Beauty Huechers (Coral Bells) and another blue hosta for out front.

2 comments:

Janice said...

That garden fence and gate look great! Good job! Hope it keeps the critters out! I have two coral bells (dark) like that one..I enjoy the contrast of color in the flower bed. The rhodie is so pretty!

A rootdigger said...

Your garden does look great. straight fench well placed poles. I found your blog cause i was looking at pvc pipe gates... by goat lady and others...
I did the netting first and this year tacking on the chicken wire at the bottom.. some other critter was eating holes in my netting. Not sure if rabbit or ground hog. So i mended and now my deer height not so much there... But i think im okay cause my fence area is so small. Thanks for the good ideas. Your plants look great.