Saturday, April 24, 2010

AN AMAZING GIFT!

THIS MORNING, I was given a gift I never would have believed could happen. Some of you might remember my long distance shots of the pileated woodpeckers that live in my woods... the shots were not very good, the color lost in the distance, and if you didn't know what they looked like, they would have seemed like just another bird in the tree. I have never managed to get a pic of them in flight - the color pattern from underneath is spectacular. So, here I was, dutifully working on my Sunday Musings, when I saw something move in the redbud right outside my window. Spook had been running up and down the tree already this morning, so I expected to see him. But, this is what I saw instead. One of the woodpeckers was right outside my window having breakfast! Now how exciting is that!? OK, so maybe I am only one of a few that find it exciting, but let me have my moment. In a couple of shots, his head is blurry - as I mentioned, he was having breakfast! Also, I did not get the camera very close to the window. I did not want him to get scared before I even got a shot off. Anyway, here he is. You can actually see his bright red head. Save the comments about the dirty window! I will wash them again after the pollen eases up a bit more.

2 comments:

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It is always exciting to see one of these dramatic birds. I used to see them when I was logging in the bush. There were rules to avoid pileated woodpecker trees, with elongated nesting holes. These where dead trees (chicots) which would normally be pushed over because they are also called widowmakers and loggers can be killed by them toppling on them.
You had to stay a couple of hundred feet away from these nesting trees with your logging machines.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Enjoyed seeing the pics of your breakfast guest - how nice of him to fly in and great that you could capture the moment!