Monday, August 20, 2012

"MARY" CATS

WHAT? You never heard them called Mary cats? See that M on their foreheads? No, the cat's, not mine! The story is that about 2000 years ago, there was a special baby born in Bethlehem, and he spent his first few days in a manger in a stable. The weather over there can be chilly, especially at night, and this little cat crawled up in the manger, curled up next to the baby to share its warmth. The baby's mother, whose name was Mary, woke up from her nap and found the kittie curled up next to her baby. She reached over to pet it, stroking its forehead, and forever its decendents will wear a M on their heads in honor of that loving cat. We have one of those cats... and , yeah, he can be loving, but we have found it is just to lull us into a false sense of security while he is planning some mischief to get into. Oh well, we love our Rascal anyway!

4 comments:

ancient one said...

You know I'll be looking at every cat now looking for that M ...LOL

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for the info, Possum. I had looked up Mary cat after your comment on my Rocky post and found this story and several others. It's always good to learn about new things.

Ginnie said...

I know you'll think I'm nuts but that story gave me the willies. If I woke from a nap and found a cat cuddled up to my newborn babe I would freak out. Animals like that have been known to smother babies and worse !!!
But it has made me want to check out every cat I see.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

This cat looks like the ones I had as a child. I had two cats that looked the same, one after the other. They both lived very long and got very big. So in effect I had the same kind of cat all my growing up. Ironically, it (they) was called "Tiny".