It seems like yesterday we started this project. Well, OK, maybe that is a stretch, but it is hard to believe we have been working at this building for so long. But then, we are doing most of the work by ourselves, a few hours each week-end, sometimes with 2 or 3 of us, sometimes with a whole crew of 6! It is amazing how much we can get done with 6 people all pooling their efforts. Lets do a little review from a few years ago (2009) up to (more or less) today. The check leasing the building:
The first thing we needed to fix was the roof, to say it leaked was an understatement. Unfortunately, it took a while to get a grant to have a new roof put on. It is easy to see the leaks in the “office” area where we actually had a ceiling. The big room was open from the floor to the roof.
We even had our first Santa Train with tents INSIDE the building to keep the rain off the visitors and food!
BUT, first we needed steps, new windows, then electricity, some door repair until we built our own doors.
And then remove the old walls and ceiling in the office area…
The north end:
And on the inside, we built a ceiling in the big freight room:
removed the track-side door, made it a little smaller and reinstalled it. then we built a new door for the south end.
The walls were prepared and insulated, then came sheetrock and paint.