Friday, October 04, 2013

A DRY OCTOBER DAY

We had rain only twice in September, I think, for an inch and a quarter, total. Nothing so far in the rain bucket for Oct. But we have a promise of Tropical Storm Karen working her way up here beginning of next week.DSC_0279 They promise 3 days of rain. Lord knows, we need it. Normally I would have drained the hoses and had them back in their garbage can for the winter, but not this year. I got some mums for my birthday, and they need to drink or die. I put some out front next to a campaign sign for one of my “boys.” Well, Ralph has not been a BOY for quite a few years, but once they are your boys, they are always your boys. Who would have believed that skinny little kid would be first a neurological pediatrician, then a Senator, and now running for Lt Governor? But he has always been a good boy, and that is what counts most, isn’t it? Anyway, I have a few of his signs up and this was a perfect place for some of the mums.

DSC_0498 DSC_0275

As I said, it has been dry. The deer are coming up into the yardDSC_0281 to drink out of the bird feeders. I find them  drained dry every morning and have finally put a tub of water out for them. When there is water in the ground baths, it stays very busy. I was happy to get this shot since the other birds tend to scare the cardinals away from the birdbaths. Can you see him?

 

DSC_0284 The veggie gardens are just about done, but I have baby yellow wax beans just coming. This is the second planting in my stand-uppity garden.

The tomatoes have been slow this year. Many of them just up and died. The ones I plant in strange places, after the tomato garden itself was full, are still going strong. Not often one sees tomatoes in an azalea bush! But this seems to be a favorite growing area.

DSC_0280 DSC_0282

I was told I did not show any of my window boxes… and these are right outside the window here, with my birthday camellia behind them.

 DSC_0285

Thanks for visiting my garden!

3 comments:

ancient one said...

When is your birthday... mine is sept 29...Your flowers and tomatoes are beautiful...

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Also hoping that we get a day or so of rain to cool down the warm temps and give all the plants a soaking. The birthday camellias looked lovely and hope your celebration lasts the year.

Ginnie said...

I hope your "boy" wins. That's a good picture of you and, as usual, your flowers are magnificent.