Sunday, June 08, 2014

NOISY NEIGHBOR

I have a very noisy neighbor… not that I am complaining. I might even be bragging a bit! He and his family live in my woods and are not at all bashful about banging around on whatever they think will give them a good meal. A couple weeks ago, he was working on this stump outside my bedroom window. I got to try out my new Nikon on him… And for those of you who are not all that into birds, this is a pileated woodpecker.

DSCN0056 DSCN0061 DSCN0062 DSCN0065 DSCN0067 DSCN0069

He has a very distinctive call – once you hear it, it will be easy to know if you have one around. I will include a link with a sound link on it. Check it out!

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/pileated_woodpecker/id

4 comments:

Ginnie said...

Lucky you !! About ten years ago I heard that distinctive call and sure enough, there was the pileated woodpecker in one of the dead trees bordering my property. I loved watching that bird but it was only for about a week and then it was gone ... never to return but I keep looking and hoping.

Snowbrush said...

Now, THAT'S a good looking bird. For two or three weeks this spring, we had woodpecker pecking on our roof gutters everyday before we were ready to wake up. I don't know why he did it or why he quit doing it.

Harriet said...

He is beautiful. There are several species of woodpecker around here -- or there were, before the climate shifted. I am not sure which kind regularly checks my eaves for bugs, but it sounds like a power drill.

Caddie said...

A gorgeous creature for sure. There was one here for a period of time a few years back but it too quickly disappeared. Often I see a huge heron scoping out the creek and once there were three together 'fishing'. Parent teaching offspring.