Monday, October 30, 2017

END OF OCTOBER

AND TIME TO PUT STUFF IN THE GREENHOUSES!
OK, Playing Catch-up here. I do a lot of that anymore. First, I finally managed to get the previous post here OFF the SPOTS blog. I know, for many of you that would seem a simple task, but I seem to get less techy all the time. Then I managed to get a few pictures taken and downloaded on the computer… pictures to answer a few questions I have had about certain plants. And then I managed to get what belonged on the SPOTS blog on there! Finally!



So, first, catching up in the garden… I told  many of you that I was finally able to go to get my newest day lilies and that included the day lily that started my love affair with lilies – Happy-Happy. I can hardly wait to see it bloom!!!!!
Happy-Happy is in the front corner of this new lily bed. I have had to cover the bed because the deer ate a bunch of my lilies down to the ground over on the side of the house… and I can’t afford to let that happen to these lilies. Some of these are rather expensive, not saying that to brag, just mentioning how bad my addiction has become. And, this is the last time I will be buying any daylilies. It has gotten too hard to plant them and care for them… I don’t have what it takes to start a new garden area.
When I picked up my lilies, one was in bloom. Of course, I was supposed to cut it off so the strength of the plant stayed in the root system to help it settle in… but, you can see it was too beautiful to cut right away. I just had to leave it for a couple of days and watch it bloom. This lily is named Passionate Prayer.


I have also had questions about a plant called Strobilanthes. I think its common name is Persian Shield?????  I just love the colors. It is seldom found in the local garden centers around here, so I work at taking cuttings or potting the plants to keep over the winter. I have a modest success rate, tho one year only one cutting survived. I also take cuttings from favorite coleus plants, or pot up small ones for the winter. I bring some cuttings inside tucking them in with the orchids that live in my kitchen window.
   
As usual, I hope you enjoyed the mini tour of the plant world here. Hopefully, more later!
 
Oh, did I mention I have been busy working to get Ralph Northam elected governor???? I first met Ralph when he was a boy in 3rd grade - my very first year teaching here on the Shore. He grew from a fine kid into a fine and HONEST man. Apparently not everyone requires- or finds- honesty in their politicians, but I do. Vote for Ralph Nov 7th!!!!!

2 comments:

Ginnie said...

I hope your man wins for Governor. I understand his opponent is a really bad character.

As to your garden and the gorgeous floral display I can only say that I am green with envy. I wish some of the green would go to my thumb but I don't have the patience or the know-all. I will just enjoy yours vicariously.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Those day lilies are mighty pretty, Possum, and I too would want to enjoy them a bit longer. Hope that the VA election produces the desired results too, even if we can no longer vote there.