Tuesday, January 23, 2018

70s in JANUARY!!!!



What a DAY!  This is a heaven on earth day… and I have been blessed to have so many of them. I confess, most of them have been in Maine or the Poconos, but this is one for Virginia. It made it up to 72- IN THE SHADE- and at least 76 sitting out in the sun.

            I did not have to do anything at the Train Station today – got the day off, as it were, so I celebrated by getting my shaggy long hair cut – it was a mess – and while I was getting that done, the sky opened up and I got a free car wash – most of the salt and grime from the last couple snow storms got washed away and the van was shiny when the rain moved on.

           Next, I got some grocery shopping done. The produce was fresh, I was impressed. It is seldom that we get nice crisp green beans this time of year. And the broccoli was fresh, too. And they had paper bags! (I hate those cheap plastic things.) I didn’t need much, but it was so nice to go shopping in my shirt sleeves.

            I hit the gas station after leaving the store. 2 hours later the price went up 5 cents a gallon. Actually, they started changing the numbers when I was at the PO. By the time I got home, the sun was out, the temps in the upper 60s, Rusty had a new paper bag to play in, then a small box he could barely sit in, but he made it, and I got my copy of Fire and Fury! I put the refrigerator stuff away, changed into a short sleeved shirt and headed outside with my new book. (So much for the 3 other books I am working on in the house!)

            I wiped off an Adirondack and sat for an hour in the sun, exposing as much skin as decently possible- hey, you never know who has a Go-Pro-drone flying around! After the sun dropped behind the tree tops and the wind was picking up, I walked around looking for some camellias. Several bushes really took a beating – worst of all was Debutante, the larger camellias freeze the most. I found only one in bloom. But, amazingly ‘Aunt Alice’ was hiding some beautiful flowers on the lowest branches. I had to really look as they were under the leaves. The ones on top were too bruised. But I found enough to bring in and put in a little vase.


            I hope you had a great day, too- I hear the warm weather stretched all the way up to Bar Harbor! Thunder storms Delaware! In January!!!!!


 

4 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yeah for your great and warm weather, Possum. We had a rainy Monday and Tuesday and the weather forecasters were off base because the 50-degree temps never arrived. Instead, we had ice covered tree limbs and black ice on roadways and walkways. We spent the day safely indoors. Wearing short sleeves and reading outdoors sounds wonderful.

Snowbrush said...

Winter here in western Oregon has been usually mild. I enjoyed the beautiful photos.

troutbirder said...

Sounds like heaven to me, he says from the Minnesota tundra and his igloo....:)

Ginnie said...

Yes, I enjoyed the nice respite too but it's a week later and it has gone way down. Tomorrow to be in the 20's early on. Oh, well, it is winter !