Sunday, April 17, 2011

COPING…

Buddha said, All of life is suffering… its just that most of us don’t realize that most of our lives. But as we get older, the moments of suffering seem to get closer together.

There is so much suffering in this world of ours. We rejoice at the moments of calm and peace, for there are those who know so little of it. I know, I seldom let my feelings come out in this blog, but every now and again, I am deeply moved. Often, I write things, then never publish them, trying to keep the blog upbeat and positive, filled with sunshine and flowers. But, every now and then, a cloud passes over the garden and the winds blow cold.

Lately I have been worried about my friend Noriko. If you read my posts, you have read news of her recently. I worry because she has been fighting with cancer for some time, and now Japan is going thru a struggle we here in the states can only just barely comprehend.

But I have also been worried about my cousin, Boo. Revisit Boo at http://possumlane.blogspot.com/2008/06/cousin-boo.html. Boo lives in Alabama, and a ripping storm went thru there this week-end, tornadoes, serious damage… And I have not heard from Boo for a little over a month, so I decided it was time to make a phone call. I got her nephew John Duke. What he told me shocked me to my core. No, they had not had any damage from the storm… the same storm that killed at least 14 people when it hit NC yesterday… They were fine… Boo was not up yet. Duh, I forgot the time change, it was not quite 9 AM there. But the shocker was that if Boo was having a good day, or a good moment, they would call me and put her on the phone. Boo had not answered any emails for a while because her dementia is so bad, she can no longer use the computer. The last I heard from her she was still writing music… but maybe that was only in her memory. She talked about going to church, Linda and Duke coming up from Birmingham to take her to the Dr… her pace maker… and the songs that were left in her that she needed to get on paper and on a disk.

Then a little while ago, John Duke called and put Boo on the phone. We talked a little, she asked me what I was up to… I figured putting in my garden was a safe topic. She asked if Hazel was helping me put the garden in. Hazel has been gone since, um, before 1990. I tend to forget when people die. Block it out, I guess. But, ever the gracious Southern Lady, Boo invited me to come down and see her. Stay at her house, we would have such a wonderful time. I told her I would truly love to. And I would… but……….. well, all I can say is I am so grateful to have had Boo in my life. What a joy to known her, to have experienced the joy that she brought to everyone around her. Even in her slightly scrambled phone call, I could feel her love, even if it was love from 20 years ago at that moment… that love never dies.

Yes, there is suffering – perhaps I am feeling it much more than she is right now, knowing she is not able to be on her own, knowing she will not be writing any music today. But I know the world is better for all the joy she has brought to it and all the music she has written, all the people she and her music has touched.

And even tho Boo will never read these words… Boo, I really love you!Cousin Boo

4 comments:

Loretta said...

((Hugs)) Boo sounds like a lovely woman. I pray she is happy in her world, where she is still writing beautiful music.

I'm finding that this journey we're on, called life, is getting harder every day. I all ways thought as I aged it would get easier, but was I ever wrong. So many family and friends gone, leaving empty places in my life.

I have thought of Noriko many times when hearing news of Japan. I hope she is still able to write to you.

I loved your pictures from your last post. Wish I lived close enought to see it for myself. I can all most see myself there!

ancient one said...

I understand the title... Coping has become a way of life....so much bad news has come our way... A loved nephew's 22 yr. old son died this week...My husband's sister still in the nursing home.. progressing but still cannot talk.. his brother sick and weak, his SIL taking hard chemo treatments... But I'm still thankful for all GOD's blessings...Safe from the storms of yesterday.. Tornados so close but not my neighborhood... so many lost so much...
Great post on Boo... and even though she might not know you later... you will never forget her...

Ginnie said...

I remember seeing her picture before and feeling like you could feel the love and serenity that she exudes.
My oldest sister Mary remembers very little and it has proved to be a God-send. She had a tough life and a very mean ex-husband and that's all gone from her memory. She is perfectly happy in the small rest home where she resides in Vermont and the staff love her. Not a bad ending I would think.

Kathie said...

A beautiful woman, Possum and a beautiful post from an obviously loving niece. I don't worry about keeping upbeat, if I start out sounding depressing I always feel like folks can hit the Red X and move on and sometimes it helps other people to know we are all basically the same, we have good and bad days and it helps to share it.In my "dotage" forgetting has been the one thing that frightens me more than anything. My mother had age-related dementia, sometimes she was normal and could remember things and other times she had no idea what day it was or who you were. Very sad....I will say a prayer for your Aunt Boo she sounds like a lovely lady and very talented.And as Loretta mentioned in her memory she is probably still writing beautiful music.