Friday, May 04, 2012

VISITORS

I LOVE IT when I get unusual visitors out front either at the feeders or just hanging out in the redbud tree. This week I had 2 visitors I have not seen for a few years. Doesn't mean they haven't been here, just means I have not noticed them. The first was a Rose Breasted Grosbeak. Yeah, I know it is hard to tell from this picture, but by the time I got my camera, he was ready to move on. If you know your birds, you will recognize his back. If you don't know them, his breast is white with a bright red heart shape just under his neck, not that song birds have much of a neck. The female looks kind of like an over-sized sparrow in color and markings. I have had Evening Grosbeaks in the winter, even a Blue Grosbeak one summer that I thought was a giant Indigo Bunting! Hey, I was new to birding! And they said Blue Grosbeaks did not get this far north, but, as Roger Tory Peterson told my neighbor, "birds have wings!" Imagine! Then, today a Redheaded woodpecker visited. How beautiful! The female is very plain by comparison, browns and white. Great coloring for sitting on the nest. I often have a good assortment of really cool woodpeckers, my favorite being the Pileated that lives in my woods (or Frank's woods, or in a tree on the line!) I have posted pics of them before on here... And I have posted pictures of the red-bellied, the occasional yellow shafted flicker, and the ubiquitous Hairy and Downy.

4 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hey Possum, can you send that colorful pair to our feeders?

troutbirder said...

Nice collection of visitors. I'd like to see some of those unusual (for here) grosbeaks.... :) Unfortunately the red headed woodpecks once common have disappeared from our woods in the last ten years.

Caddie said...

This week I spied a woodpecker, a large one, flying over, landing in what I believe a young sycamore. He stayed awhile eating something. Three other birds swooped in, one at a time. What this was about, I have no clue. The woodpecker tended to his business, unperturbed. They appear here rarely.

Ginnie said...

Lucky you ... and I agree, the Pileated woodpecker is awesome. I seem to get them about every other year.