Sunday, May 27, 2012

THE END OF MAY

THE END OF MAY here on the shore means the peas are ready to be picked, the late peonies are in bloom, and my joy of joys, the Mountain Laurel is in bloom. The clematis is also in bloom this year, but I think it is a bit early. It has been hot for May, but then the entire winter/spring has been very warm, even hot some days. I am sure there are those who do not think 80 is hot, but I am a Mountain girl… or an Island girl so I measure hot and cold differently, I guess. I think Punkin must be a mountain cat… he does not like the heat when it gets around 80. He gives up following me around the garden and heads for a place in the shade, often under a bush, but sometimes right in the middle of the plants. What is fun for me, but surprising for visitors is when he meows as we walk by and other folks do not even see him. I am sure he enjoys that look of bewilderment when they look around and no cat is to be seen… “Ow,” he repeats. Do you see him?
It is also at the end of May that our little Train Station has its Plant Sale as part of the Town’s Spring Fling – a town-wide yard sale sort of thing that starts at 7 AM, but usually ends for us between noon and 1PM. It is real hard work for some of us, contacting growers, then driving up and down the highway with a van full of plants, then setting things up. Someone has to price them. They get arranged and rearranged as things get sold.
This year we had a Bake Sale in conjunction with the Plant Sale. That was even harder on me than all the work with the planning and getting and doing………… namely not eating all the goodies. Sigh. BUT, I try to stay gluten and sugar free, so my house is a Safe Haven for cookie storage! LOL!
We did set up our simplest train track, just in case a kid or two showed up. Of course, some of our kids were in their 60s. That happens a lot. But here is one of the younger ones.

4 comments:

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Everythings looks so lush. We are just now planting gardens. Trees have leafed out. Our forests are on fire. It could be a better beginning to the summer season.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
troutbirder said...

I love the mountain laurel. Here things are very early as well...

ancient one said...

your peonies are beautiful.. mine have been gone for awhile now. so did you get any water from Beryl? No sugar? Oh how do you do it? As I've gotten older my sweet tooth has gotten bigger. :)