Monday, December 22, 2008

A SOLSTICE WISH

OK, so it is a day late... but the year is young, and your lesson for this new year is to practice patience and forgiveness. Well, OK, that is my lesson - or part of my lessons for this year. And, of course, I realize I have to start with myself. And that is tough.


Yesterday was extremely busy here - well, the whole week-end has been nuts - Tis the season to go crazy, right? And my body has not been cooperating for a while. Not complaining here - I am on my feet and I can dress and feed myself so I am way ahead of the game compared to so many other people. But I digress...


I wanted to send this picture as my Solstice greeting yesterday - but it was too iced up. Enough ice has melted off the window this morning to make a beautiful picture. As some of you know, I used to live in Maine. Should have been a grad of Portland High School - but fate had other plans, and I wound up living in Turkey with my father (I'm a State Dept brat) and graduating from the American High School over there. And even tho a BIG part of my heart remains in Turkey - a WONDERFUL COUNTRY WITH WONDERFUL PEOPLE - another part of my heart never left Maine. Part of me will remain forever a true Maineiac - and not a Mainer or whatever they have decided to call themselves today. Much more fun being a Maineiac! There are more places in Maine that I love than I could ever find the time to write about, first in my heart being Peaks Island (Casco Bay) but I have always loved Pemaquid Point. Yes, Portland Head Light is beyond beautiful, but there is just something about Pemaquid... You can visit their webcam at http://www.pemaquidpoint.org/wc.cfm. This is probably my favorite webcam of all, and I am addicted to webcams! I love to find webcams in the areas where people I know live and thus check out the kind of weather they are having, how deep the snow... that kind of thing. Anyway, here is Pemaquid this morning.
Doesn't that look nice with the frost or ice on the window????
Down here in VA, we got 3/4 inch of rain, and guess who forgot to empty the rain gauges? It dropped to 21 degrees this morning. sigh. One cracked gauge. That's OK, I keep a supply of rain gauges just because, well, I guess you know why. Duh.
Enjoy this new year... days getting longer, etc, until we complain of the heat! OH well, by then we will have passed into the next Solstice and the days will actually be shrinking again.
Happy Solstice, Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

That is a beautiful webcam picture!

I wanted to wish you a very Merry Christmas in case I don't get back before then!!