Sunday, November 15, 2009

the NOVEMBER NOR'EASTER

NOVEMBER NOR'EASTER (and other NEWS)

Otherwise known as the Friday the 13th storm by some… the remnants of hurricane Ida paid a long slow visit to the east coast last week… the winds and rain started here on Wednesday and did not really stop until Saturday. All together we got 6.97 inches of rain here on Virginia’s Eastern Shore, at least at my place. Some folks got more, some less. No matter what your measurement was, it was a lot! However, the winds are what bothered me the most. I have a friend who says she loves the wind. That may be because she has never had a tree fall on her property. Picking up a few branches is not much to worry about, but having a tree on your house or car is a serious problem.
My first memory of wind was when a hurricane took off our porch back when we lived on the island in Maine. I have been afraid of wind ever since, I guess. Or to say the least, I don’t enjoy it! Here, as many of you might remember, I have had a number of trees come crashing down – one of the hazards of living in the woods! Anyway, I did not lose any trees this time in spite of the sustained 30+ mph winds with gusts over 60. My roof made it thru its first storm, so no leaks!
I did get some water accumulation…

in fact my back and side yards are still under water in a number of places, and so soft, one can actually sink in with the mud over most of your shoe. If I go out today, I will definitely be wearing boots. The pics of the yard don’t look so bad until you realize the water is over a foot deep in places and the leaves are floating on top of the water!

My friend Dorothy Perrucci took these pictures down further in town of a neighbor’s yard and a lost tree. I have included a picture of the old Hopkins Store on the wharf in Onancock and the parking lot adjacent to the store. It looks like the boats are tied up out in the middle of the creek! See the car driving thru the parking lot?

And then there is the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Remember the movie Nights in Rodanthe? Well, that IS a real house in Rodanthe, though the movie made it seem much more isolated than it really is… see the water all around it? Notice route 12. It is gone in a number of places that look much worse than this. on TV last night, they showed the house sitting in a LOT of water, the water was up over the road... much more than seen in this pic from http://www.obxalert.net/, from whom I also borrowed the pic of the other seaside house about to go out to sea. This picture is from http://blog.outerbanksvacations.com/2009/11/12/outer-banks-november-noreaster-update/ before the storm really got cranked up!

Other news...
Changing the subject… for those of you who know the Shore, the Captain’s Deck burned down earlier in the week. I pulled off and took this picture yesterday while on the way to the Organic Food Store, Quail Cove. I have had many a meal at this restaurant over the years. It was usually very busy. Fortunately the motel behind it was not damaged.

6 comments:

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Well mother nature did deliver you a nasty blow. I hope you have a good pair of gum boots.

I have little sympathy for those allowed to build right on the shore. There is little protection for them even in moderate storms. Beeches and dunes should have been undeveloped it we knew any better for they serve an ecological function.

I hope all is put in good order soon.

ancient one said...

I will quit complaining about our wet yard... your's is much worse ....but today was such a beautiful sun shiny day... and all of us were ready for it... six days of cloudy rainy weather was too much... Hope the water dries quickly...

Ginnie said...

I am one State south of you but we didn't have anywhere near the storm that you did. The wind was very strong however and it scares me too. Years ago we had a terrible hurricane in Massachusetts and I've never underestimated wind since then.

Rufusmcclure said...

Look at all the damage the hurricane brought. :( I'm glad you didn't have a problem with your roof. I hope, by now, you've already recovered from the water damage. It's always best to have our homes checked before rainy weather approaches, since we'll never know how much damage they can bring.

-Rufus Mcclure

Tiffany Larsen said...

That was a strong hurricane! Just look at the damage it left in its wake! If that’s not living proof of how devastating it was, I don’t know what is. It’s a good thing your roof was not damaged. Anyway, you should still have it inspected and checked -- just for safety purposes.

-Tiffany Larsen

Eugene said...

Hurricane Ida did a lot of damage to your area. It is scary and sad how a hurricane can cause so much destruction. I do hope that your place does not experience another great disaster like this.

Eugene Head