Wednesday, November 11, 2009

OUR LITTLE PARADE IN OUR LITTLE TOWN

DO NOT LAUGH... as far as I know, this was the only parade on the Shore in honor of Veteran's Day. Now I normally do not do a lot in the parade department - but, I got roped into sitting and begging down at the train station. And it was profitable... Considering we need LOTSA money for a new roof, any donations were gratefully recieved. Also, I met a nice guy who helped with the parking issues we had - saving spaces for our antique cars... and wrapping up our yellow tape, no mean feat in a steady wind. Add ImageNothing like joining a group and doing your first volunteer job before the ink is dry on your check! After hearing the band and sirens for a while, the parade finally came in view as they headed down East Main St. Eventually, they went around the country sized block and came back headed for the FireHall. When the economy gets rough, the first programs in the school systems to lose funding seems to be the arts. Trust me on this - I taught art for 38 years! None of our county's school bands could make it to march in our little parade, but the kids from Northampton County proudly showed up with only band sweat shirts for uniforms. What they lacked in uniforms they made up for in enthusiasm and talent! God bless them! I must say, it brought tears to my eyes! I also have to say, they were excellent! They played and played - those kids played their hearts out! I do hope they got some money in their Uniform collection bucket! Northampton is one of the poorest counties in the state. We had a good collection of Fire and Rescue vehicles from neighboring Volunteer Fire Departments (as seen thru the freight door in the old train station)
As the antique cars lined up, I spotted my favorite car from the past... I was a Thunderbird fan! Now, I confess, I have a spot in my heart for a certain GTO, but there has never been a sharper looking car than the 66 T-bird. And my favorite color, too! However, I am content with my van... but still, some memories are nice.
A PS - about 20 minutes after posting this, I started checking the blogs that I follow, and found this little bit on mudflats - remember my comment about bands (the arts) (schools in general) and funding? This is why... (and you know how I try to keep this blog non-political...
And skyrocketing national debt? OK, let’s look at the gross federal debt as a percentage of the GDP for the last 30 years…just for giggles.
Jimmy Carter (D) -3.2%
Ronald Reagan (R) +11.3%
Ronald Reagan (R) +9.2%
George H.W. Bush (R) +13.1%
Bill Clinton (D) -0.6%
Bill Clinton (D) -8.2%
George W. Bush (R) +6.9%
George W. Bush (R) +11.7%
I believe that’s what you call a “pattern.”
Just sayin'...

3 comments:

ancient one said...

Loved your parade... we had blowing rain all day.. and the veteran program at the park was cancelled..its still raining.. they are saying we should get between 5-7 inches...

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Those spend spend spend Democratics have been falling down on the job.

We have an even smaller parade here for the Santa Claus parade. Some day I will scan the pictures in my computer.

I did you were driving an antique SUV! :)

Ginnie said...

What a fun day for you and it tugged at the heart strings too.