Sunday, December 26, 2010

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY (or two) MAKES

The day before Christmas was sunny. Not warm, but the snow hadn’t started yet. Punkin spent the day out of the wind in what I call their sun room! It was as warm as toast in there. As a Christmas treat, he had a little snack in there with him. Never say these cats are spoiled! DSC_0810 DSC_0809 DSCN28721

Then there is this morning… By the time I got outside at 7:30, the snow was close to 4 inches deep.DSC_0812 I had to measure the snow for the WBOC 8 o’clock news (my 15 seconds of fame!) Both boys were in the plastic box watching the snow swirl around them. They asked for breakfast in bed. DSC_0813 

The birdbath deicer seems to be working pretty good. We will see how it works with 12 inches of snow on the ground (the latest prediction.)DSCN28681 Whoops, radio just said 14 inches!

I shoveled the driveway – it was about 4-5 inches deep by then. Last measurement was at 6 inches. It was time to make a path for potty purposes as the snow was over the kitty’s butts. It is tough to go to the potty when your butt is covered with snow. DSCN28591DSCN28661

Part of the path goes to the weather station measuring cylinder to the left of the birdbath. The path off to the left goes to a “dry” spot under an azalea where the ground is “dry” enough to scratch a little place, if you know what I mean. Pretend you don’t see that little black and white fellow squatting under the bush.

The driveway got covered as fast as I could shovel, but I threw out some old left over seed from last year and the greedy grackles, blackbirds and starlings got to work melting the snow for me!DSCN28711

If this is 6 inches of snow, what will this tree look like at 12 or 14?DSCN28641

An update… the black birds drank all the water from the birdbath… so I just refilled it – and measured the snow. We are now at 9 inches. I re-shoveled the path to the azalea. Have you ever noticed how snow seems to drain the color from things? Even the few bright spots not frozen brown are barely visible, and the green is almost black. DSCN28701

Guess I’ll not be doing much work on the potting bench any time soon… DSCN28671OK, I guess I will sit back and practice reading on my Kindle – that does take practice, somehow… and sip my Jordan’s Pond coffee. Some of you know where that is! LOL! We have more snow than they do! I have saved this coffee in the freezer just waiting for such a day as this. (Thanks Frank and Rose!)  It sure warmed up these old bones after being out in this mess clearing little pathways. Reminds me of when we used to have an outhouse  we refused to tear down up in the mountains because the power went out so often. LOL! Nothin’ like cookin’ on a wood stove and shoveling your way to the “facilities!” I do miss the stove.

If you get some snow out of this storm, let me know how you made out! Keep a path shoveled, ya never know who will need it!

4 comments:

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Have you gone out and made an angel in the snow yet.

Stay warm and dry.

ancient one said...

We have snow today... started sometime during the night...Husband measured 5 1/2 inches... He's made tracks out to the goat pens twice today...had 2 more kids this afternoon... that makes 9. Loved your snow pics.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

nHmmm, if I scatter bird seed over our driveway area, maybe I could skip shovelling? Glad the kitties were kept nice and warm and also had a nice pathway to "do their business."

Caddie said...

Oh, dear, do I have snow! It's gorgeous.