Tuesday, December 28, 2010

SERIOUS ICE!

ICICLES are rare here on the shore – might be because we can go for years without snow, ya think? So, I suppose folks from snowier areas must think it strange to take pictures of icicles – but even for someone who has lived in Maine, I thought these were pretty spectacular… or maybe have I just been in VA too long. DSC_0836 DSC_0838

Anyway, I just had to share these couple shots with you.

Storm update – we have 8 foot drifts. Most of the back roads here on the shore are closed. The Testosterone Cowboys with 4 wheel drive have been trying to blast their way thru the drifts, just for the fun of it, but, DUH, many of the drifts are a half a mile long, not those little 2 foot wide piles of snow they use in that commercial. So, they get 50 feet into the drift and their 4 wheel drive will not take them any further – NOR does it get them back out! It is difficult to even get out of a vehicle when the snow is up over your hood, over the windows, or even, imagine, up to the roof. So, many of our roads are blocked, not just with snow, but with abandoned vehicles.

Some of the excuses the tow truck operators are hearing are amazing… “I had a hankering for sausage, so we were going to Wal-Mart.”

“We ran out of toilet paper.”

“I dunno, we got bored and I got 4 wheel drive…”

“I was going to go dig my girl friend’s driveway out. (Does she have to go somewhere? Is she a nurse or something?) No, she invited me over for dinner. Gonna have spaghetti. I’m bringing the wine.” (well, that explained one or 2 of the bottles… maybe, but not the open beer can)…

Yep, this one will go down in the record books for us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here at the F&P we had just 15 inches. But the drifts in the Greater Onley Metropolitan area are fierce as you say. I'll trade you some of my icecicles for yours!!!! Had another fun day playing in the snow with John.

ancient one said...

We noticed the long icecicles on people's houses in town today. They are longer than any I've ever seen before. They sure look dangerous. That's funny about all the guys getting stuck with the 4 wheel drives...glad we didn't get drifts. Most of the roads have been plowed here. Just icy in the shaded areas around bridges. They say by lunch time tomorrow it will all be melted off the roads. Which will be good as I have family coming to have Christmas with me on Thursday. LOL

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Listened to to local radio station today and heard about those folks with 4-wheel drive vehicles getting stuck in snow drifts. Goes to show that there's no accounting for stupidity som days.

Anonymous said...

Those are Magnificent. I LOVE icicles. NOT the COLD but the beauty it brings.

Ginnie said...

Wow...I'm just catching up with some of my favorite blogs and I realize I haven't been to yours since before Christmas. We had nothing like the ice that you show. It's beautiful but deadly.
Happy 2011 to you.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Don't you just love an icicle to suck on.

I am thinking of you today and wondering how you are managing the current Winter storm weather. Is is snow, freezing rain or just rain this time.

Your Winter is worse than ours. We do not have much snow and warmer than normal temperatures.